Tuesday, October 21, 2008

The sweet smell of Power


One writer named Mr. Benigno over at that site, Filipinovoices.com, seems to understand where I'm coming from. My writings may appear obnoxious or as radical as some may think it is, but deep inside us, we all think the same way. Or, in one way or another, savor the sweet smell of power.

Yes, power. Is it wrong to enjoy power? No. In our small nooks, we enjoy power. Power, as what a famed philosopher once said, is all about dominance. Of what, you would ask me? Well, its dominance on relationships. You can have power over your child. In the office, you have power over your underlings. Everyone, in one way or another, exercises some form of power over another. 

Is it not correct to even say that government officials do exercise power over their constituencies? When I was a local executive in a small town (I would not give Mr. Gagelonia the pleasure of "blowing me out of the water", hahaha! Such foolish things coming from a foolish mouth, I suppose), I used power for the benefit of the majority. I lead my police whenever there's a stakeout against petty criminals. You can say that I had my fair share of getting my hands dirty. But, did I enjoyed it? Yes, I'm saying with all honesty. I enjoyed all the trappings of power.

Power is all glam and glitter. You can have money (obtained legally, by the way) and you enjoy the comforts of life and the admiration of beautiful women. Such are the trappings of power. Those who don't have it, envy us. That's why we have these so-called oppositionists. They had their time but blew it. Now, they want a repeat of their perfumed life at the expense of public money. They hate us for enjoying our lives while they wallow in utter envy. These are the destabilizers I refer to here, those former government officials who had their day in Malacanang.

Is it bad to pray for this to last forever? No. 
 
Those who disagree with me, let them. But, deep inside every one, even every writer of Filipinovoices lurks a fascist, maybe not in barong, as what this stupid Mr. Patricio Mangubat wrote or this so-called smoke said today, but in some academic's clothes.

Some day, maybe I'll be fired from this job, but hey, at least I was able to say what I want to say. The future will prove me right. History will absolve me.

No comments: